Travel To Quebec
Among other places of interest in Quebec, the General Hospital should be men-tioned. It is situated at the end of Langelier Bvd. (turn r. off St. Vallier St.; this hospital, which was founded in 1692 by Monseigneur de St. Vallier, 2nd. bishop of Quebec, has a museum with many.objects from the days of the French regime; the museum is not open to the public and special permission must be obtained from the Mother Superior. St. Matthewâ€™s church, at the corner of St. Augustin and St. Jean Sts., has a disused cemetery in which many English-speaking inhabitants were buried in the years which followed the conquest; these include Thomas Scott, brother of the famous Scottish novelist, Sir Walter Scott. The Price building, in St. Anne St., is the only building which could possibly be called a sky-scraper in Quebec, but its roof has been designed to harmonize with the prevalent architecture of the city, and when the city is viewed from the river the silhouette of this building which, like the Chateau Frontenac, breaks the skyline, does not seem amiss.
The annual exhibition of the province of Quebec is held every December; it is mainly agricultural, but industry is also represented. The extensive exhibition grounds, the Pare de VExposition, are across the St. Charles river and reached by way of Dorchester St.
The recent growth of Quebec has been largely the result of industrial development. The great pulp and paper mili of the Anglo-Canadian Co. lies at* the mouth of the St. Charles river and can be seen r. after Crossing Samson bridge out of the city. Meat-packing, tobacco-processing, footwear and textile industries are also found in the city. Ship-building is to-day carried on the opposite shore of the St. Lawrence at Lauzon, which like Levis nearby, is a suburb of Quebec. These suburbs are linked to the city by ferry as there is no bridge nearer than the â€œpont de Quebecâ€ or Quebec Bridge, 6 m. upstream.
The Pont de Quebec. The Quebec bridge is too far from the city to iustify its name, but it was built further up the river, opposite the mouth of the Chaudiere, a r.-bank tributary, because here the St. Lawrence, normally two or three m. wide, here narrows to little more than 1/4 m. The present bridge was opened in 1917 after the collapse of the earlier bridge at this point. The construction of the new bridge suffered a serious setback when in 1916, the central span fell into the river. Origin-ally, the bridge was a railway bridge only, but in 1929 a roadway was added. The bridge is 3,330 ft. long.