One may return to Dominion Sq. by turning r. on to Bleury St., and r. on to Craig St. W., continued by St. Antoine St., with the offices of the Gazette, the 2nd oldest newspaper in Canada, published continuously since 1795.
Again leaving Dominion Sq., across St. Catherine St. W., and N. up Peel St., one passes 1. the Seagram building, r. the Mount Royal Hotel (nearly 900 rooms), and 1. the Berkely Hotel, the tAll building at the corner of Sherbrooke St. Turn r. for McGill University (p 173). Turning 1. along Sherbrooke St. W., the Ritz-Carlton Hotel is passed 1., and the Art Gallery r., and the church of St. Andrew and St. Paul (Presbyterian), a fine, dignified and upright structure with a striking tower. Continuing W. on Sherbrooke St., the Masoriic Temple is 1., and r., the Old Towers. These towers are the remains of the old 17th century Fort des Messieurs, and consist of two French style towers amid the trees.
The missionaries of the Sulpician order built a residence here in 1676; the Fathers who lived here protected themselves from the Indians first by a wooden stockade, but the establishment was destroyed after a number of years and rebuilt in stone. The house and chapel were protected by four towers, two of which remain. In 1858, the buildings were demolished and the site is now occupied by the Faculty of Theology of the University of Montreal.
The Normal School lies to the 1., and if we turn r. off Sherbrooke St. and follow Atwater Ave. round to the r. past the buildings of the Montreal Seminary, we come to the Mount Royal, from which the city derives its name. The mount, the remains of a former volcano, has been elaborated into a fine park which overlooks the city in All directions and is 480 acres in extent. Automobiles are not allowed in the park.
Entering the park from the Cote des Neiges rd. we pass ski-trails and toboggan slides which are favourite winter haunts of the ‚“montrealais‚. On the 1. is Beavers L., or the Lac aux Castors. For-merly a marshy spot near the mountain summit, it has been trans-formed into a pleasant artificial lake. On the r. is tfie Lookout, offer-ing splendid views of the city. In the eastern part of the park is the luminous cross, 100 ft. high, which symbolically perpetuates the religious zeal shown by Maisonneuve when he founded the city as an act of faith; in 1643 he climbed the mountain and placed a wooden cross where the present illuminated erection stands.