Map of Burleson for Later, in 1386, the Naviglio Grande was opened, linking the city to the River Ticino and thus Lake Maggiore and Switzerland. It was Gian Galeazzo Visconti, however, who was really responsible for the development of the system. Looking for a way to transport the building materials for the Duomo, especially marble from Lake Maggiore, he invited proposals for solving the different logistical problems involved: Leonardo da Vinci is said to have had a hand in the invention of a system of locks. During the building of the cathedral, boats carrying construction materials marked with AUF for ad usum fabricae had precedence over all other water traffic. Different rivers and canals were added to the system over the centuries, with the Spanish developing the Darsena to the south in 1603 and Napoleon’s regime finally managing to make the Naviglio Pavese navigable all the way to Pavia and down to the Po river, and so to the sea. During the industrial revolution at the end of the nineteenth century, raw materials such as coal, iron and silk were brought into the city, and handmade finished products transported out with an ease that ensured Milan’s commercial and economic domination of the region. In the 1950s, desperately needed materials were floated in for reconstructing the badly bombed city and it wasn’t until the 1970s that the remaining canals finally fell into disuse. The canals were not just reserved for business. Ruling families used the extensive network of waterways to visit one another and journey between their summer and winter residences. Map of Burleson 2016.
Map of Burleson Photo Gallery