King’s College Columbia

By the early eighteenth century, New York and New Jersey Anglicans had been considering the establishment of an Anglican college in the North for many years. Lewis Morris of New Jersey began drawing up plans as early as 1704, but financing problems and interparish rivalries competing for authority over, and the location of, such a college delayed any agreement until 1754, when New York City Anglicans forged a compromise. They were granted a charter by George II, and a board of trustees was formed. All factions agreed to follow the model established by the Philadelphia Academy for religious liberty; in addition, the new institution, called King’s College, would have a seminary for the training of Anglican clergy. A curriculum was established based on ancient and modern languages, history, logic, mathematics, and the sciences, as well as husbandry and commerce. The college opened for eight students in July 1754 in a schoolhouse attached to Trinity Church at Broadway and Wall Street in lower Manhattan, and the first classes were taught by Reverend Samuel Johnson. The college grew rapidly, and, in 1767, a medical school was established. The college closed in 1776 because of the Revolutionary War and reopened in 1884 as Columbia College. It was renamed Columbia University in 1896. The 30 Most Influential Colleges and Universities of the Past … alltravel8Last Civilized Yank: Alma Mater Columbia University (King’s … alltravel8Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons – Wikipedia … alltravel8

Leave a Reply

21 − = 20