1980s Disney partnered with Premier Cruise Line to offer vacation packages including both cruises and stays at Walt Disney World. The Premier ships had Disney Characters on board.
1995 The Disney Company ended its arrangement with Premier when Disney Cruise Line was created. Two ships were commissioned to be built at Fincantieri in Italy.
The History of Disney Cruise Line Photo Gallery
1998 Disney Magic set sail on its maiden voyage on July 30th. Castaway Cay opened the same day.
1999 Disney Wonder began operating on August 15th.
2007 Disney announced the creation of two new ships, Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.
2011 Disney Dream embarked on its maiden voyage in January.
Disney Fantasy set sail.
DID YOU KNOW? When you’re facing the front of starboard side is on your right.
beam – the greatest width of the boat
bow – the forward part of a boat
bridge – the location from which a boat is steered
course – the direction in which a boat is steered
fathom – six feet
forward – toward the bow, or front, of the boat
galley – the kitchen area of a boat
heading – the direction a boat’s bow points
helm – the wheel controlling the boat’s rudder
hull – the main body of a boat
keel – the centerline of a vessel running fore and aft
knot – a measure of speed equal to one nautical mile per hour
leeward – the direction away from the wind
midship – the location on a boat midway between bow and stern
nautical mile – 6076 feet, or 0.15 longer than a regular mile
port – the left side of a boat looking forward
starboard – the right side of a boat looking forward
stern – the aft part of a boat
stow – to put something in its proper place
wake – moving waves or path a boat leaves behind it when moving
windward – toward the direction from where the wind is coming
What’s cool about this ship?
1. Disney Fantasy was just completed in and takes 7-night cruises from Port Canaveral, Florida through the Eastern and Western Caribbean. Stops will include Castaway Cay, St. Maarten, St. Thomas, Grand Cayman, Costa Maya, and Cozumel. Its maiden voyage is on March 31, .
2. Disney Fantasy’s sister ship is Disney Dream, launched in 2011. They both have room for 4,000 passengers at one time. Fantasy is 1,115 feet long and 216 feet high. Both ships have the AquaDuck, the first at-sea water coaster! The entrance to the coaster is on Deck 12.
3. “Magical” portholes in the inner staterooms of the Disney Fantasy show real-time views outside of the ship.
4. Mademoiselle Minnie Mouse is a statue in the atrium lobby of the Disney Fantasy you’ll remember forever. The famous mouse is cast in bronze and dressed in neat 1920s vintage fashion.
5. Fantasy’s top speed is 23.5 knots. It usually cruises at 22 knots. There are 1,458 crew members on board and 14 decks.