Greenwich Village Shopping Map

The University of Greenwich

The University of Greenwich was founded in 1992 by the amalgamation of several Polytechnics and other South East London higher education institutions, led by the Woolwich Polytechnic (founded in 1890), which had merged with the Thames Polytechnic in 1970. Building on these traditions, origins and successes, the new University has placed high emphasis on engineering, mathematics, computer technology and natural sciences. Recently it has added a very successful Business School and several other new Faculties.

With campuses spread over South East London as far as the Medway Towns, the University’s administrative headquarters have, since 2000, been located in the renovated and extended Old Royal Naval College buildings on the waterfront. Co-ordination and supervision of this very rapid development has since 2004 been led by Vice Chairman Tessa Blackstone, Master of Birkbeck College.

The Trinity School of Music, now part of Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance on the campus of the University of Greenwich, was founded in 1872. The school was located near Wigmore Street in Central London for 120 years, before moving to Greenwich in 2001.

Greenwich Village Shopping Map Photo Gallery

The view downstream across the Grand Square extends to the O2 Arena. On the left is the Royal Water Gate where the Sovereign is welcomed on arrival by river.

The University’s new Dreadnought Library on the site of the old Dreadnought Seaman’s Hospital.

The King Charles Court, begun in 1664 and now let to Trinity College of Music.

Reminders of Greenwich’s naval history can be seen on the gates around the Old Royal Naval College, giving clues about the original inhabitants of the site, when it was the Royal Hospital for Seamen.

The coat of arms of the Royal Hospital for Seamen is made up of four anchors with a central crown and a rope around the edge.

A gilded naval crown appears above the central gates.

On each side gate Neptune is portrayed, with scallop shells above and below his crowned figure.

The light aircraft carrier HMS Invincible (R05) was in service between 1980 and 2005, including service in the Falklands War. She was decommissioned in 2005 and scrapped in Turkey in 2011.

A visit from the Chelsea Pensioners.

Visitors at the Royal Water Gate arrive at the ancient landing-point for entry into the Royal Naval College.

Visitors at Greenwich Pier beside the southern lift-shaft of the Greenwich foot tunnel. The foot tunnel was opened in 1902 and is currently undergoing refurbishment. The Canary Wharf skyline forms an impressive backdrop.

In August 2011 work began on the cable car across the River to connect Greenwich Peninsula to the Royal Docks, linking two important Olympic sites. The Transport for London project, with sponsorship from Emirates and at the latest estimated costing £60 million, will be called the Emirates Air Line (Cable Car).

Leave a Reply

14 + = 15