College of Rhode Island Brown

The College of Rhode Island, another product of the Great Awakening, was chartered in 1764 by the Baptist denomination. The Baptists gained a foothold in New England in 1639, twenty-five years after their founding in the Netherlands by British Separatists, when Roger Williams, who had earlier converted to the religion, established the first Baptist church in Providence. Another parish was established in Newport in 1644. The Baptists rejected the more cerebral intellectualism, the ecclesiastical authority, and the close ties between church and state of the Congregational, Anglican, and Presbyterian denominations. Instead, they favored a more emotional, personal devotion to the written word of the Bible, a commonsense identity, and a complete reliance upon faith. Having established a successful Baptist preparatory school in New Jersey in 1756, the Philadelphia Baptist Association began to search for a suitable location for a college. Denomination leaders in Rhode Island, where the first Baptist church was founded, welcomed the idea. Ezra Stiles, the Congregational rector at Newport, and James Manning, Baptist emissary to Rhode Island, drew up the plans for a liberal and catholic institution for the province. A charter was granted by the Rhode Island legislature in 1764, providing for a board of trustees composed of Baptists, Congregationalists, Anglicans, and Quakers. The mission of the college was to prepare a succession of men for a life of usefulness and reputation through instruction in the vernacular languages, the arts and sciences. The college was located in the parsonage of James Manning at Warren, Rhode Island, and it began with one student, William Rogers. By 1769, the college had eleven students, each paying $12 per year tuition. Seven students graduated that year. In 1770, the cornerstone was laid on the first college building, now University Hall, modeled after Nassau Hall at Princeton, and was constructed by Nicholas Brown and Company, owned by the Brown brothers, from a prominent Rhode Island family. During the Revolution, the British seized the college building and used it as a barracks. Later, the Continental Congress established it as a hospital for French troops. In 1782, the college regained possession and began repairs on the wartime damage, and, in 1783, John Brown offered to pay half of the cost of a new library. The first commencement after the war, in 1786, included among the graduates Nicholas Brown Jr., who became a trustee of the college five years later. After creating Brown and Ives, Rhode Island’s largest mercantile company, Brown donated a total of $160,000 to the college over the course of his life until his death in 1841. Following his first donation, $5,000 in 1804, the trustees renamed the college Brown University at Providence, in the State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations. Brown University – 75 Photos – Colleges & Universities – College … alltravel8Emma Watson Stops by ‘The Late Show’ Hollywire alltravel8Brown Bears vs. Rhode Island Rams – 12/30/15 College Basketball … alltravel8

Leave a Reply

− 2 = 8