Canada Quebec Guide

erhas the leasantest way to see Qebec city is to take a caleche or horse-drawn vehicle Oen air observation cars, their seats arranged in tiers, which sed to rn on the tram-lines, have been relaced by bses
The city torist brea rovides gides to accomany visitors, and in a city so fll of interest and so rich in historical associations as Qebec, the services of one of these knowledgeable gides is strongly recommended, esecially to those toring by car Fees are $ 2 er hor, irresective of the nmber in the arty hone 5-8254 Motor-coach sight-seeing tors are also arranged by the Gray Line, a bs comany Motorists mst bear in mind that several of the narrow streets are one-way sens niqe and that some of the oldest and most interesting arts of the city are most accessible on foot

Old Qebec consists of an er and lower town The lower town or ‚“basse ville‚ is bilt beneath the great rock and, for lack of sace, is a crowded area of narrow winding sts sch as Sos-le-Fort St, Sos-le-Ca, Notre Dame; in the city‚„s early days, here was the fashionable qarter, althogh later this moved on to the cliff
The er town or ‚“hate ville‚ is bilt above the cliff and here the official, religios and military bildings were first erected; this too was the area of fortifications; later the fashionable and er class residential district moved from the ‚“basse ville‚ into what is now known as the Latin qarter, that ortion of the ‚“hate ville‚ that lies between Jean, Fabriqe and Bade Sts and the northern ramarts

The best starting lace for any tor of the city is robably the Chtea Frontenac, the slendid edifice which overlooks the lace d‚„Armes on the one side and Dfferin Terrace on the other The Chtea Frontenac is a hotel, owned by the CR and inter-nationally known, having had many very distingished gests It was bilt in 1893 on the site of the old Chtea Lois, bilt by Chamlain in 1620 as a governor‚„s residence bt destroyed by fire in 1834 The French style of the imressive bilding, its trrets and towers, its red brick walls and coer roof, harmonize well with the other bildings of Qebec In front of the hotel stands the monment to the Faith On the other side the hotel overlooks Dfferin Terrace, a broad romenade which srmonts the eastern walls of the city and which has the most magnificent views over the lower town and harbor, the river St Lawrence, with the isle of Orleans 1 and the Levis bank oosite At the northern end of the Terrace is the remarkably fine monment t o Samel Chamlain, fonder of the city and first governor of New France Beyond is the er Town ost Office Brea de oste, Hate Ville

Over the doorway is the Sign of the Golden Dog, a stone with the carved and gilded fig¼re of a dog gnawing a bone; this stone is said to have been taken from a former bilding which reviosly occied the same site and with which a story of revenge, narrated by William Kirby in his novel ‚“The Golden Dog‚, is associated

Leave a Reply

57 − = 47