Head downhill along Via di Belvedere, which runs along View across to San Miniato al Monte from Forte di Belvedere © importers) who financed the church in the Middle Ages. The restored 13th-century mosaic below the gable shows Christ, the Virgin and St Minias. Inside the church, the High Altar is raised above the nave and there is a Byzantine-style mosaic in the apse, again of St Minias with Christ and the Virgin. Below this is the crypt, built using columns salvaged from ancient Roman buildings. The floor of the nave is covered with seven marble mosaic panels of lions, doves and the signs of the Zodiac (1207); similar intarsia work panels can be seen on the raised marble choir and d Agnolo, but was never finished. Cannons were installed here to shoot at the Medici troops during the Siege of Florence (see pp50-51). The cemetery ® surrounding the church opened in 1854 and this contains tombs the size of miniature houses, built to pulpit. In the north wall is the show off family wealth. 13th-century mosaic on San Miniato facade Starting point: Ponte Vecchio.