19 © was once the home of Galileo. The Porta San Giorgio (St George’s Gate) © is straight ahead at the end of the lane. Built in 1260, this is the oldest city gate to survive in Florence. The weathered fresco within the arch is The Virgin with St George and St Leonard by Bicci di Lorenzo (1460). On the outer face of the arch is a carving of St George fighting the dragon, a copy of the original 1284 work, which has been removed and is currently being restored. The Forte di Belvedere © is to the right through the gate, and was designed by Bernardo Buontalenti in 1590. Originally the fortress was built to guard the city against attack from its political rivals, but it soon became a private refuge for the Medici Grand Dukes. From here there are extensive views over the Boboli Gardens © below, and across to the olive groves and cypress trees in the . countryside south of the city.